Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Good looking boy!

Here I was, I had just got home from a long day. I had a meeting to attend and other things and walked into the door of my house just feeling this longing to just shut it down.
I walked in to the bathroom were my son(Maddox) had just taken a bath and was just hanging out in his bouncy seat. I leaned over him and looked at him thinking I am just going to say "Hi" and then go out and be lazy on the couch.
Then is when it happened. I looked at him and said those words "Good Looking Boy" and with them I opened something I thought would never come from them. As the words finished coming from my mouth he (Maddox) broke into this huge smile, his eyes lighting up, his face beaming with delight and then he laughed. I mean a whole hearted can't contain it laugh. For him this was the first time and for those that do have children you can relate to hearing your child laugh for the first time. I then stood there repeating that phrase over and over again, getting the same reaction from him every time(and me laughing whole heartily as well at his laughter). At first I did it for personal enjoyment. Then it hit me he was just so happy from this one simple phrase, that in then switched to me doing it so I could see him happy.
After all the laughter, all that weariness I felt and desire to just crash had completely disappeared. From this simple act of laughter all my thoughts were changed.
This morning as I sat and thought about it and replayed it in my mind I couldn't help but think how amazing all that was. Also How we need others sometimes to get us past what only we may be seeing and it does not have to be this great big act, it can be as simple as little laugh at some simple phrase by a simple person.
It has made me examine what I let define who I am and how I act. That sometimes we just need the simple thing to get us to change.

No comments: